Monday, September 27, 2010

Another Week, Another Article on Adult ADHD

I don't search out articles about adult ADHD, but I usually seem to find at least one or two articles a week.  I read them to see how the disorder is presented and to perhaps learn something new. About 90% of the time, the articles will only focus on the negative and never talk about the positive aspects of the disease.

www.nataliedee.com
www.nataliedee.com
The most recent article was in this weekend's Parade Magazine and after reading it, I felt compelled to have a giant "L" tattooed on my forehead.

According to the article, I'm eight times more likely than the general population to take dangerous risks, twice as likely to get into traffic wreaks, 50% more likely to be unemployed and earn about $15,000 less than others, have unstable relationships, mood swings, disorganization and am more prone to alcohol and drug abuse.

I guess the alcohol and drug abuse could be true since I'm so depressed about being a messy, unemployed relationship-destroying individual with a smashed up car.

Yes, I'm more likely to take a risk, but by taking those risks, I may find greater opportunities and learn new things.

I know that I'm fortunate to have been diagnosed because I can coach my friends and family on how I communicate, how I learn and what I do as coping mechanisms that they may not understand (Such as when I go to a restaurant, I'll sit with my back to the entrance so I don't spend the entire dinner getting distracted by their newest guest).

Helpful hint to reporters writing about adult ADHD: try to talk about the positives as much as you talk about the challenges. If you don't, you're not really giving an honest portrayal of the individuals living with the disorder.


No comments:

Post a Comment