Sunday, February 7, 2010

Losing my cool

I am the person you want on your team for Trivial Pursuit. Because when it comes to cultural references, movies, television, and otherwise useless information, I rock. I used to be able to rattle off the top shows, who were the actors, plot lines, etc. I was Mom's go-to-kid when she was working on the TV Guide crossword puzzles. 

I don't know what has happened to me. When the Lost season premiere happened last week, the number of my FB friends who were excited and anticipating every twist was much larger than I thought it should be. I don't watch Lost. I did watch one of the first episodes years ago and never got it. Lost is lost on me.

There are also a large number of people who like to quote the most recent lines from The Office. Again, I've never watched it. I can fake it pretty well from what I pick up as others are talking nonstop about the most recent episode. Actually, I've learned that if I just mimic what the other person is doing when they're telling me about last night's episode, I can cover up my "uncoolness." 

Now, I can proudly say that I've never watched Survivor, American Idol, Wife Swap, or The Bachelor. Not a big fan of shows where the object is to destroy another person's self-esteem. The only reality show that I watch is Biggest Loser because the show is borderline educational and the participants have their lives changed for the better. (Full disclosure: I did watch Dancing with the Stars when Marie Osmond was on - but only for nostalgic reasons)

My loss of cool is a recent event. I'm pretty sure I still had the cool factor through the Buffy the Vampire Slayer years. I can still quote many of those lines.

I'm trying to figure out when it happened. When did I lose "cool?" 

I can't think of the one event that could have turned the tide or was it progressive (or regressive) over the last few years. Or perhaps I just got a life that doesn't revolve around what is on television. Talk about a lifestyle change.

No comments:

Post a Comment